Tech that is here now
The Horizon Report for 2007 is a good brief on the modern technology learning institutes face and use today. Key trends were:
- higher ed is changing with an increase in DE, demands from nontraditional students and cost cutting efforts
- the world is becoming more globalized changing how we work, collaborate and communicate
- information literacy skills are more required than before
- the review of faculty work and rewards are not in line with new forms of scholarship
- students’ perception of tech and its use are not the same as faculty
Technologies upon us:
- user-created content apps, social networking, mobile phones, virtual worlds, new forms of publication and educational gaming.
Thus, challenges have been:
- the assessment of new forms of creative work
- visionary leaders taking opportunities of new expressions of scholarship, research and learning
- unclear standards for copyrights and intellectual property with digital material
- effective use of media in presenting work; allowing new forms of interaction via collaboration
- delivering content and services, anytime and anywhere, to mobile and personal devices.